Before I went to Thailand, the farthest my seafood palate extended was fried fish sticks. Most American seafood tasted fishy and bland to me, eww!
But once I hit the streets of Bangkok, I loved trying any Thai food placed in front of me, especially Thai seafood dishes.
Instead of just using lemon, butter, cocktail or tartar sauce like a lot of seafood dishes found in America, Thai fish, shrimp and crab dishes can be jam-packed with flavors like: zesty lime, crunchy shallots, fresh mint, Thai basil, green onions, cilantro, tons of garlic, roasted rice powder, Thai curry pastes, and of course spicy Thai chilies.
My love for Thai seafood wasn’t powerful enough to handle any of my pregnancies though. The smell of any fish made me sick, even during our visit to Thailand this last summer! So tragic and sad, I can’t even begin to tell you. But now that I’ve got my appetite back, I’ve been craving Thai fish dishes.
This week I made Thai Salmon Red Curry, which in Thai is, Chu Chee Pla, because of the “chu chee” sound it makes when you fry it. Aren’t Thais are so cute?!
It’s one of my Thai Hubby’s favorite dish, and mine too! Not only because it’s so full of flavor, but it takes less than 30 minutes from prep to table, and with three sweet kiddos, quick Thai meals make life even sweeter!
Try it today, and share it on Instagram with us @thaifoodie! I’d love to see your awesome version of it!
Quick Thai Salmon Red Curry Recipe
Quick Thai Salmon Red Curry is the perfect weeknight meal since it's full of flavor and takes less than 30 minutes! Can it get more delicious?? Salmon, kale, Thai red curry paste, and coconut milk! Such a heartwarming treat to get you through your week! SO good!
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk, try not to shake it so the coconut cream on top stays separated
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 tsp. fish sauce, to taste
- 1-2 tsp brown sugar sugar, to taste
- 1.5 lb salmon filets
- 2 cups fresh kale leaves
- 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, cut into thin strips (optional)
- 1 Thai chile, cut into long, thin strips (optional)
- Combine a couple tablespoons of cooking oil of choice, Thai red curry paste and the coconut cream, (when you open your can of coconut milk, it should be the first thick layer you see) in your wok over medium high heat.
- Once the paste is fragrant, stir in the coconut milk, water, fish sauce and sugar, and add the salmon in a single layer.
- Cook covered for 2-4 minutes, depending on thickness, on medium-low, until it's flaky.
- If using, add the chile, and flip the salmon over, and cook the other side a few minutes until flaky too.
- Stir in the kale until wilted, should only take a minute or two.
- Then sprinkle kaffir lime leaves and red chile on top, and serve with jasmine rice.
You can use other fish if you prefer! Whatever you enjoy most!
Don’t forget to pin it on Pinterest to save it for next time!